I run into a lot of people who own businesses and are successful, but when I take a look at their online presence I am often horrified. I’m writing this piece laying in bed using only my cellphone, so please do not judge too harshly! Enjoy.
Perfect Your Google My Business (GMB) Listing
MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR LOCAL BUSINESS ONLINE LEAD GENERATION & REPUTATION MANAGEMENT:
Here are my main suggestions for growing your businesses online reach & brand awareness using Google My Business.
- The first thing you need to do is create an account & verify your business with Google. Likely, you’ll need to send a postcard to your mailing address and verify it using a 6 digit code, when it arrives.
If people searching for your business, services, or products can’t find you there, your not even in the running for free passive organic traffic.
Key things to know:
- Select the best category for your business. Don’t select unnecessary categories.
- List a physical location people can visit your business or an office where your staff works out of. If you don’t have a physical location, leave it blank. Do not list a virtual office, Google hates that.
- Make sure your business title is compiled with a few key search terms, your target audience is searching for. This will help you rank higher. But, do not go overboard.
- If you have a website that is functional & worthy of sending customers to, go ahead and list it there. If you don’t, but have a Facebook page that’s worthy of being listed, go ahead and list it.
- Add images of your logo, staff, business location interior & exterior, products, & customer images.
- Regularly, update & add new photos.
Complete Entire Listing:
- Fill the rest of the listing to the best of your ability, but not list any false information, this can hurt you later on.
- Begin regularly creating posts, business news, updates, event information, offers, products for sale, and other posts to your profile.
- Keep it up to date.
- Next, you will want to begin getting reviews.
- Do it slowly over time, don’t get a ton of reviews in a short amount of time, then go months with zero reviews.
- Be consistent.
- Reply to every review.
After a sale/service, send the customer a rewritten message thanking them for their business & kindly asking for a review of their experience.
- Make it easy for them, provide a URL that brings the person directly to the platform.
Use this tool to create your businesses review URL:
Here’s an example:
Hi Jane Doe, it’s Mike with Cajun Lawn & Landscape Guys.
First, I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your business, it’s greatly appreciated. If you need anything at all, don’t hesitate to reach out. I’ve got your back!
If you wouldn’t mind taking a few moments to give us a review, it would help us out a lot. It’s how we get new business & keep our prices so low!
For Facebook go to:
For Google go to:
Don’t use any of these websites?
No problem, you can reply below with a quick review of our services & give us permission to use it on our website.
As a thank you for adding your review, we’re going to give you a 5% discount on your next service!
Thanks again for your business, time, & consideration!
– Mike (Owner, Cajun Lawn Guys)
If you have any questions about GMB profile optimization let me know, I would be happy to look at your profile & give my review.
This guide is far from complete, but it’s a good starting point for those of you just beginning.
God bless & happy hunting!